NSPC Space Force ChallengeFebruary 20, 2020
NSPC Space Force Challenge
The men and women of the newly created Space Force need a name!
The U.S. Space Force (USSF) has been established as the sixth military branch of the U.S. armed forces, but the DoD has not yet announced what Space Force members will be called.
The National Security Policy Center (NSPC) invites members of the University community (students, faculty and staff) to submit their best ideas. The top three submissions will be selected by a committee of space policy experts based on the quality of the proposed name, but more importantly, the justification supporting it. The grand prize winner (or team) will receive $500, first runner-up will receive $250 and second runner-up will receive $100. The deadline to submit proposals is Friday, March 6th.
Submissions will be judged on the following criteria:
- Would the moniker inspire the next generation of space professionals?
- Does the submission present a compelling argument for the moniker?
- Does the submission capture the spirit of the Space Force?
What should be the moniker for the men and women of the new United States Space Force? Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines – each branch of the U.S. Armed Forces has a unique culture and identity reflected in the moniker for its service members. Drawing on everything from the mission of the Space Force to history, linguistics, literature, and pop culture, propose a Space Force moniker that is both timely and timeless and captures the essence of what it means to be a member of the newest branch of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- The contest is open to members of the University community (students, faculty, staff). Proposals may come from individuals or teams.
- Proposals should be approximately 500 words.
- The deadline for proposals is MIDNIGHT March 6th.
- Follow these steps to upload your proposal:
- Step 1: Click here
- Step 2: Click “Register” and create an account using your virginia.edu email address
- Step 3: Check your inbox and click the link from email@example.com to verify your email address
- Step 4: Return to the challenge page and click “Add Idea” to submit your proposal. Upload your proposal to supporting documents and paste text into “Idea Details.”
- Please note: Once proposals are uploaded they will be visible and open for community comment.
Receive NSPC News & Updates
Join our email list to receive updates about our upcoming events and workshops by simply filling out the form on the right.